Seen as the coolest thing since Marty McFly’s hoverboard in Back to the Future II, 2015 was the year of the hoverboards, although the new craze was quick to come and go because they caused a lot of problems. Lately there has been heaps of incidents in peoples custom homes around the globe where they have been catching fire and have caused a number of house fires due to electrical faults. Everyone seemed to have one. They were so popular with celebrities and were seen as a ‘must have’ to many people around the world due to its growing popularity. Even though they can’t actually hover and have two wheels, you feel like you’re gliding.
They are used for a range of things: from making walking down the street look cooler and be easier, to even using it to dance to your favourite songs. Well, actually, now that I mention it, they aren’t used for all that much, you just feel cool when you’re on it. The idea of having a one of these hoverboards seemed like a good idea at the time, but there was no real benefit of having one other than just enjoying it until the batteries ran out and then having to sit around and wait for it to charge again. But that now is a big risk to homeowners around the world.
Just recently, three home builders apartments sustained water damage in Orlando due to sprinklers having to go off because a hoverboard set fire when charging, which screamed the obvious that these toys have not been properly tested by the companies personal injury and IT consulting services. There was also $15,000 worth of damage at a house in Anne Arundel County due to overheating when charging as well, and a family in Louisiana lost their entire home all because the board was on charge and then started shooting out flames from both ends like bright car park lighting and caused a giant house fire, destroying everything.
Now ask yourself, is all of this worth spending money on this toy that provides some enjoyment when there’s a good chance you will end up having parts of your house destroyed if not all of it? Just think of all of that extra money you’d then have to spend on the damage, the electrical contractor, replacing whatever got destroyed, or even the possibility of it doing some harm to a person you love? Make sure you ask yourself these questions if you are considering buying one of these boards.